Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ok...I Think I "Get It" ...

One of my homeless friends & SUPER duper fan of, Posie...just rode his bicycle into the city (2 miles) to let me know that after 15 yrs...he was no longer homeless. 


Just so you know, he's always worked (including picking up trash in parking lots for companies & stores-in trade for food). 


I asked him did he need anything for the house-I'd like to help. His response, "No-I have everything I need. I always have. In 15 yrs out here-I've never been robbed, hurt, and always had food/clothes on my back...God is good and faithful. It hasn't been easy...but I really feel blessed." Did you hear that???? God is GOOD ....and FAITHFUL...said the man who lived with next to NOTHING!


He continued...."I really just wanted you to know that I now have a home. A REAL home. I don't have many people to share such good news with and just want to tell everyone!....You've been really kind to me. Even just offering conversation and time with your little dog. Most people are so mean/rude-even though they don't know me...I don't think folks understand that it could happen to anyone...and once you get down that low...it's almost impossible to 'get out'..I appreciate your friendship is all...it's like no matter how rough it's been-God wanted me to know He was always watchin' me and sent so many angels to cover me."


Transitioning......I've had a few folks in my building give me grief about it....they don't like "them" hanging around the park across the street or whatever...Once a lady in the elevator said to me (in a tone I'm sure you can imagine) "You know...I really wish you'd stop encouraging those kinds of people. I've reported some of them for loitering. You only make it worse." I literally looked at her...smiled....and responded, "It's unfortunate you feel that way. Have a blessed night." *She no longer speaks to me.


Bottom line: Like many these days...I'm on a pretty tight budget...I give food...blankets...gather up items to make goody-bags...LOTS of pb&j sandwiches-things of that nature...but in the midst of ALL of it...I've totally and FINALLY forgotten about "what it is I THINK I'm doing for them" (oh-so-holier-than-thou-mentality)...I'm thankful....HUMBLED....BLESSED....for knowing each and every one of them. They really are my friends. 


I will never be able to truly express what I've gained for having some of them in my life. It's priceless when knowledge becomes wisdom. Don't get it twisted...that's no ME saying I'm brilliant...that's me saying....well...to quote my friend, "God is good...and faithful."


As we walked in separate directions...him pushing his bicycle along...I yelled back, "Hey! Thank you! This is the BEST news I've received in a really LONG time. It's good. Praise God!"


He smiled and said, "Tell Posie hi for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment